The Waste Isolation Pilot Plant Hazardous Waste Facility Permit Community Relations Plan is Currently Being Updated
The U.S. Department of Energy Carlsbad Field Office and Nuclear Waste Partnership LLC (the Permittees) are seeking public comments to improve the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant (WIPP) Hazardous Waste Facility Permit Community Relations Plan (the Plan).
The Permittees also have proposed changes to the Plan that include:
· Co-Permittee name change from Washington TRU Solutions LLC to Nuclear Waste Partnership LLC, the current WIPP Project management and operating contractor
· Clarification to Section 3.5 of Plan that describes how members of the public may be added to Facility Mailing List
· Clarification to Section 3.7 to describe how public viewpoints can be documented for the record
· Changes to standardize capitalization and hyphenation
The Permittees’ proposed changes to the Plan are identified by red text with a double underline for new text and a strikeout font for deleted information. See “Read the Plan.”
We encourage members of the public to submit comments or suggestions. Your ideas will help us to provide a plan that continues to meet the public need for permit-related information. Comments may be submitted by:
· E-mail to mailto:CommunityRelations@wipp.ws
· Access http://www.wipp.energy.gov/WIPPCommunityRelations/index.html online. Click on the “Comments” tab, type in your comments and submit them.
· Call the toll-free number at 1-866-271-9640 to speak directly to WIPP Project staff
Based on timely resolution of comments, text changes to the Plan will become effective on
June 24, 2013.
The Permittees are required to post comments, consultations, communications, agreements and disagreements between the Permittees and members of the public on the Community Relations Plan Web page. Comments and suggestions will only be posted with the express consent of the contributor.